These two brothers, Peter Spracklen and Solomon Goss Spracklen, probably headed to Iowa about the same time, if not together. The History of Belle Plaine featured both Peter and Solomon Goss Spracklin and their residency in the area. Peter mentioned his brother Solomon in the text. They are also listed together in the 1856 Iowa County State census.
Here are posts to review:
“Peter Spracklen a Restless Man and son John!” posted November 17, 2013. This post covers the “History of Belle Plaine.”
“A Son of John and Lydia (Goss) Spracklin: Peter Spracklen of Belle Plaine, Iowa – 1st Marriage,” published on October 27, 2013. This post describes the 1856 Iowa State census.
“Peter Spracklin Comes to the end 1899,” posted Dec 15, 2013. This features his obituaries.
Solomon Goss Spracklen was another son of John Andrews Spracklin and Lydia Goss. If you would like to know what Solomon looked like you can go to this website:
There you will see a picture of Solomon Goss and Louisa (Avetts) Spracklen, his wife. It features their entire family. There is a link under the picture where you can contact the researcher who is a descendant of this family of Solomon Goss Spracklen.
What I present here is my own research in the census, in deeds, probate and other records regarding the life of Solomon Goss Spracklin. I was interested in him because I wanted to connect him to his brother, my 2nd great-grandfather Daniel D. Spracklin. I have a lot more on Solomon but I made a promise to my cousin not to publish what she shared with me.
Solomon Goss Spracklen married Louis Jane Avetts (Avit) 2 April 1857 in Johnson Co., Iowa.
Source: Johnson County, Iowa Marriage Index, Book 3, pg. 78, 1839-68, F627.J6.GA, State Historical Society, Iowa City, IA. FamilySearch has an Iowa County Marriages Index 1838-1934. They reference FHL#986009. There are more marriages listed there for this family and some of their children at FamilySearch.
Solomon Goss Spracklen was born on 4 March 1828 in Knox. Co., Ohio. His wife Louisa was born on 26 May 1839 in Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee. She was the daughter of William and Louisa Avetts.
By 1870 Solomon and Louisa had taken up residence in Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa per the U.S. Census.
Lines 20-26, dwelling 19, house 20: Spracklin, S.G., age 42, Male, White, Farmer, $500, $1500, Born in Ohio, Parents of foreign birth, Jane 37, female, white, keeping house – place of birth not indicated, Ella J., age 11, at home, born in Iowa, Nancy, age 9, born in Iowa, Dortha, age 8, born in Iowa, Sarah, age 7, born in Iowa, Minnie, age 3 born in Iowa
Solomon Goss and Louisa had 9 children:
1. Ella Jane Spracklen b. 6 January 1859, Iowa City, Johnson Co., Iowa d. 12 June 1945 in Modale, Harrison Co., Iowa. She married John Thomas Arbaugh on 4 Nov. 1875 in Modale. They had 5 children: George, Solomon L., Lewis S., Ada G. and Minnie J.
2. Mary Ellen Spracklen b. 1 February 1860 in Iowa City, Johnson Co., Iowa d. 12 July 1922 in Modale, Harrison Co., Iowa. She married 11 April 1876 to Michael Taggart Layton and they had 12 children: Inez Irene, Arthur Solomon, Eliza Jane, Michael Taggart, Bessie, Hattie Ann, Judgson Finley, Agnes, Jasper Roy, Allen Andrew, Mason Ford and Edward Lee.
3. Dorpha Spracklen b. 7 July 1861 in Johnson Co., Iowa d. 11 July 1925 in Lincoln, Lancaster, Nebraska. She married Elisha H. Ludwig on 24 November 1878. They had 8 children. If you would like further information on this family contact me or use the link above to contact the cousin who has researched this family extensively.
4. Sarah Spracklen b. 8 June 1862, Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa d. 6 Aug 1941. She married a L.G. Riley.
5. Minnie M. Spracklen b. 19 February 1867, Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa d. 7 October 1929, Sanborn Co, South Dakota. She married on 13 March 1888 to a John A. Akers who was born in probably Council Bluffs. He died 3 February 1903. She may have had one child with her first husband . Minnie remarried to Orrin Alonzo Cooper on 18 June 1907 in Council Bluffs, Potawattamie Co., Iowa. They had 5 children. Orrin Cooper had been married previously to Calista Ellen Merrifield a daughter of Solomon Goss Spracklen’s sister Olive. Calista and Orrin married on 4 July 1875 in Table Rock, Pawnee, Nebraska. She died 20 Oct. 1905. Try the History of Muscatine Co., Iowa for information on a Guy L. Cooper son of Orrin. I will post more on this link when I write about Olive.
6. Nancy Elizabeth Spracklen b. 11 September 1870 in Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa and died 20 October 1942. She married a Charles Irvin Hiddletson and they had 5 children: Hazel, Edna B., Hoyt, Utie, and Earl.
7. Jessie Josiah Spracklen b. 4 April 1874 in Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa and died 7 July 1917 in St. John Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa. He married Nettie Vaulder on 27 October 1904 in Frankfort, South Dakota. She died that following November 30, 1904. They had no children. Jessie was the only son of Solomon and Louisa, all the rest were girls. He apparently didn’t remarry.
8. Alice Grace Spracklen b. 6 February 1881 Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa, died the same day. Twin to the sister below.
Please note: The history above has Alice Grace as the survivor. The 1885 Iowa Census has Alice C. listed.
9. Grace Alice Spracklen b. 6 February 1881 d. 7 October 1898. She married a John W. Johnson and had Gladys Alice twin to the sister above in #8.
The information in the above family group sheet was given to me by another cousin who descends from my line down from Daniel D. Spracklen. She did a great deal of research on the family in the 1980’s. Please verify all that you see.
Solomon Goss Spracklen and Louisa are featured in the “History of Harrison County, Iowa,” published 1891, pp. 524.
Solomon G. Spracklen, a representative farmer of Taylor Township, residing on section 19, came to Harrison County in the spring of 1866, just at the close of the war. He bought eighty acres of wild land and built a frame house 14×24 feet, and in December of the same year bought eighty acres of more land adjoing the first tract he had bought. In the summer of 1881 he built his present frame residence, which is a two story building, 14×24 feet, with a well 14×20 feet. In 1887 he built a barn, 42×70 feet, with fourteen foot posts, which holds one hundred and twenty-six tons of hay. This barn ranks among the best in Harrison County. When he first came to the county Magnolia was his nearest trading town, and there were but few settlers on the Missouri Bottoms. Mr. Spracklen was born in Knox County, Ohio, March 4, 1828. He is the son of John and Lydia (Goss) Spracklen. The father was a native of England, while the mother was the first child born at Dayton, Ohio. Our subject remained at home until 1852, when he came to Tama County, Iowa, remained a short time and then went to Benton County. He purchased a part of the land which the town of Belle Plaine now stands upon. He lived in that section until 1857, except one year that he spent in Ohio. We next find him in Johnson County, Iowa, where he bought a farm, remained eight years and then came to Harrison County. He was united in marriage, April 2, 1857, in Johnson County, Iowa to Miss Louisa J. Avetts, the daughter of William and Louisa Avetts. Our subject and his wife are the parents of eight children — Ella J., Mary, Dartha, Sarah, Minnie, Nancy, Jesse J. and Alice Grace. Our subject’s wife was born in Tennessee May 26, 1839, and when but a small girl her parents came to Hardin County, Ill. Her mother died when she was young, and her father remarried, after which she lived with her grandmother and came to Johnson County, Iowa, with a family by the name of Morton, and there remained until the date of her marriage. She is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Spracklen is identified with the Democratic party and has held the office of Township Trustee and has assessed his township three times.
Solomon and Louisa appear in the 1880 U.S. Census, Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa, ED#86, Sht. 15, Line 28.
Spracklen, Solomon G. born in Ohio, Louisa Jane, wife, age 41, born in Tennessee, Sarah daughter, age 16 born in Iowa, Minnie daughter, age 13, born in Iowa, Nancy daughter, age 9, born in Iowa, Jesse J. son, age 6, born in Iowa’
They appear in the 1885 Iowa State Census, Taylor Twp., Harrison Co., Iowa, Roll IA 1885_198, Line 21.
Line 21, 12/12 Solomon Spracklin, 19, NE SW, age 56, m, married, born Ohio, Father F, mother N. votes. Louisa J. Spracklin, age 45 female, married, Johnson, N, N, Sarah Spracklin, age 20, female, single, Johnson, Minnie Spracklin, age 17, female, single, Harrison, Nancy Spracklin, age 14, female, single, Harrison, Jessie J. Spracklin, age 11 male, single, Harrison, Alice C. Spracklin, age 3, female, single, Harrison.