As far as I know Harrison and Amarilla (Keller) Barr had nine (9) children and they suffered the loss of two of their children before their own deaths. Please refer to the previous post on Amarilla and Harrison Barr where you will find census, vital records, deeds and more which I will refer to below.
1. James Harrison Barr was born 2 Aug 1859 in Morrow Co., Ohio. He married Mary Magdelena Miller on 20 March 1884 in Galion – See the Genealogical History of the Delano Family page 421. She was born about 1863 in Galion, Crawford Co., Ohio. They had 3 children: 1. Jessie E. Barr born Nov. 1885, 2. Howard J. Barr born about Aug 1889 and 3. Ruth I. Barr born about 1897. Mary was the daughter of Charles R. and Mary Lowe Miller.
Harrison appears in the 1870 and 1880 U.S. Census in Sandusky with his parents. He is 11 years old in 1870 and 20 years old in 1880. See previous post on his parents for more detail.
In 1900, Harrison or Harry is with his family in Crawford County.
Line 32, 1222/54/57 Barr, Harry, Head, W, Male, born Aug 1859, age 40, m, 16 years, clerk in RR office, yes, yes, yes, O, F, H; Barr, Mary M. wife, W, F, born July 1866, age 33, m 16 yrs, 3 child born, 3 living, yes, yes, yes; Barr, Jessie E, daughter, W, F, born Nov. 1885 age 14, single, at school, 9, yes, yes, yes; Barr, Howard J., son, W, M, born Aug 1889 age 10, single, at school, 9, yes, yes, yes; Barr, Ruth, I., daughter, W, F, born Dec 1896, age 3, single; Everyone born in Ohio. All parents born in Ohio, except Mary M. her mother was born in Wales.
Source: James Harrison Barr Family (Harry), 1900 U.S. Federal Census, Galion Ward 1, Polk Twp., Crawford County, Ohio, SD#12, ED 12, Sheet 3, June 2, 1900, Elmer J. Funk.
We find Mary and James still living in Crawford Co., Ohio
line 73 – 315/22/28 Barr, James H. Head, M, W, age 50 M1 26, born Ohio, Father PA, Mother Ohio, English, mail-carrier, post-office, W, No. O, Yes, Yes, O M H; Barr Mary, Wife, F, W, age 43 M1, 26 5 children born 3 living, Born Ohio, Father Ohio, Mother Wales, England, English, No occupation ,yes, yes; Barr, Ruth, daughter F, W, age 13, single, born Ohio, parents Ohio, no occupation, yes, yes, yes.
Source: James H. Barr Family, 1910 U.S. Federal Census, Galion Ward 3, District 19, Crawford Co., Ohio, Polk Twp., SD 12, ED 19, Sheet 1B, April 15, 1910, [Tau B. Swodygrass]
In 1920 they are residing in Crawford County, Ohio
Line 48, 315, 47, 51, Barr, James H. Head, O, M, M, W age 60, M, yes, yes, born Ohio, parents born Ohio
Barr, Mary, wife, F, W, age 53 M, yes, yes, born Ohio, father born Ohio, mother Wales
Barr, Ruth, daughter, F, W, age 23, single, yes, yes, born Ohio
Source: James H. Barr Family, 1920 U.S. Federal Census, Polk, Galion City, Crawford Co., Ohio, 5th & 6th January, 1920, Joseph H. Baumgartner, SD# 7, ED #21, Shet 2 A, Ward 3.
James and Mary are by themselves and getting on in years by 1930.
Line 23, 236/31/52 E. Walnut St, Barr, James, Head, O, $3000, No., M, W, age 70, married, 24, No. yes, born Ohio, Father born PA, mother born Ohio, none, yes. Barr, Mary, M., Wife-h, F, W, age 63, M, 17, No. yes, Born Ohio, Father born Ohio, mother born Wales, yes and none.
Source: James H. Barr Family, 1930 U.S. Federal Census, Galion City, Crawford Co., Ohio, Polk Twp., ED 17-20, SD#12, Sheet No. 2&A, #184, April 8-11, 1930, F. A. Brining.
James Harrison Barr and Mary are buried in Fairview Cemetery in Galion, Crawford County, Ohio. There is a picture of their tombstone at Find A Grave. James along with many other family members are listed in the Cemetery Book for Crawford County which covers Fairview.
Source: Cemeteries of Crawford County, Ohio, Volume II of II, Fairview Cemetery, Deaths through August 31, 1988. He is burial #5295 and Mary is #8900.
Funeral Rites for Retired Rural Mail Carrier, Friday Afternoon…Galion Inquirer, Weds, May 23, 1934
James Harrison Barr, aged 79, retired rural mail carrier and well known and substantial citizen of Galion, died at his home, 236 East Walnut street, Tuesday evening at 5 o’clock following an illness of the past several month’s duration. Heart trouble … Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon from the late home at 2 o’clock and from the First Lutheran Church at 2:30 with the Rev. Harry R. Merle officiating. Interment will be made in Fairview Cemetery. Mr. Barr was born in Morrow County near Sparta on August 2, 1854 the son of Harrison and Amarilla (Keller) Barr. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Magdalene Miller on March 20, 1884. On March 20 of this year they observed their Golden Wedding anniversary. He is survived by his widow, three children, Mrs. Leroy Dinkel, west of Galion; James Howard Barr, Cleveland; Mrs. George Welsaling, Fremont. Six grandsons and one granddaughter also survive, together with the following sisters, Mrs. H.F. Miller, east of Galion; Mrs. E.M. Neff, Mrs. Fred Voegele, Crestline, and Miss Delphia Barr, this city. Two sons, Walter and Robert, preceded him in death. During his early life Mr. Barr engaged in farming and taught country school for ten years in Richland, Morrow and Crawford counties. When Mr. and Mrs. Barr moved to Galion they engaged in the grocery business and built the grocery store on Harding Way East, where the Jay F. Nichols store is now located and remained in this business for about 10 years. In 1904, Mr. Barr accepted the position as mail carrier on Route 4, which position he held for 25 years, retiring five years ago. He was an active member of the First Lutheran Church and was teacher of the Alpha Bible Class for 10 years…
I have his birth year as 1859 but this suggests 1854.
Telegraph Forum, August 29, 1961, Veteran Church Member succumbs, Funeral Thursday, Galion:
Mrs. Mary M. (Miller) Barr, 95, who belonged to First Lutheran Church longer than any other member and was a lifelong resident of Galion, residing at 236 E. Walnut St., died Monday at 5 p.m. in Galion Community Hospital. Born here July 10, 1866, the daughter of Charles R and Mary Lowe Miller, Mrs. Barr was married March 20, 1884 to James H. Barr, who died May 22, 1934. Surviving are a daughter Mrs. Leroy E. Dinkel of west Galion, a son, James Howard Barr of Cleveland, seven grandchildren, 17 great grandchildren and five great great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by a daughter, two sons, two brothers and two sisters. Mrs. Barr belonged to the W.C.T.U., the Rachel Circle and the Alpha Bible Class of the First Lutheran Church, and was a charter member of the Golden Age Club of Galion. Funeral serves will be held Thursday at 1 p.m. in the First Lutheran Church, conducted by Rev. James H. Fresh. Burial will be in Fairview Cemetery. Friends may call Wednesday afternoon and evening at the Volk-Richardson Funeral Home.
According to my records James Harrison and Mary Barr had the following children:
1. Jessie E. Barr born 4 November, 1885 and died 11 August, 1988. She married E. Leroy Dinkel. She is buried in Fairview Cemetery and there is information at Find A Grave.
2. Robert Irving Barr born 24 November, 1887 died 29 January 1894 in Galion and he is buried in Fairview Cemetery and there is a tombstone picture at Find A Grave.
3. James Howard Barr born 29 August, 1899 in Galion and died 29 September 1964 in Cleveland. It is stated he is buried in Fairview Cemetery but he is not listed on Find A Grave and in the Cemetery book I have referenced above. Based on the obituary below it looks like he might be buried in Cleveland where his daughter lived?
From the Galion Inquirer, Weds, 30 September 1964:
A Galion native, James Howard Barr, 75, died at 4 pm Tuesday in his home, 120 E. 225th St., Cleveland. He was ill for the past three months with a heart condition. He was born in Galion Aug. 2, 1889, the son of James Harrison and Mary Miller Barr. He graduated at Galion High school in 1907 and attended Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware. Mr. Barr was retail promotion director for the Cleveland Press for 37 years, retiring in December 1961. He was a director of the Euclid Savings Assn. and remained active with the institution in a promotional capacity. On Sept. 28, 1915, he was married to the former Gertrude C. Miller of Massillon. She survives as well as a son, Dr. Jim Barr, Pittsburgh, PA., grandson Jim Barr III, granddaughter Jane Barr, and a sister Mrs. Leroy (Jessie) Dinkel, Rt. 3, Galion. Services will be held at the Brickman and Son funeral home, 21900 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, at 1 pm. Friday, Rev. J. Edward Dinkel will officiate.
Rev. J. Edward Dinkel is the son of Jesse Barr Dinkel his sister.
4. Ruth I. Barr born about 1896/97 in Crawford County and died 20 February 1950 in Lima, Allen County. She is buried in Fairview Cemetery and there is information at Find A Grave about her with an obituary notice. She married a George Weissling, which seems to be the correct spelling of the name.
5. Walter M. Barr born 1906 and died the same day he is also buried in Fairview Cemetery, see Find A Grave.
2. Mary Emarilla Barr was born 8 Feb. 1861 in Morrow Co., Ohio and she married James Wilbur McCalla on 17 May 1882. He was born about 1857 in Morrow Co., Ohio. She appears in the 1870 and 1880 Sandusky Twp., Richland Co., Ohio census with her parents. In her mother’s obituary notice in the post before this one has her listed as having passed away by 1915. I find a death date of 14 June 1907 in Crawford Co., Ohio for Mary E. McCalla born in Morrow Co., Ohio age 54 which placed her birth in 1852 but I think that is not correct.
She and James appear in the 1900 U.S. Census in Galion, Crawford Co., Ohio:
Line 38, 1012, 78/82 McCauley, Jas., Head, W, M, Sep. 1862, 37, M, 18, born Ohio, parents Ohio, Grocer, yes, yes, yes, O, F, H. McCauley, Mary A. wife, W, F, Feb. 1862, 38, M, 18, 1 child born, 1 living, born Ohio, father PA, mother Ohio, yes, yes, yes. McCauley, Maude G., daughter, W, W, F, Mar 1883, 17, S, born Ohio, parents born Ohio, clerk grocery, yes, yes, yes. Kodger, Cora, A., Boarder, W, F, Dec 1885, 14, S, clerk grocery, yes, yes, yes.
Source: James McCauley Family, 1900 U.S. Federal Census, Galion, Crawford Co., Ohiok SD#12, ED#12, Sht#7, Ward One, enumerated 2 June, 1900, by Elmer J. Funk. NOTE: I hope this is correct but it needs verification it is them.
In 1910 U.S. Federal Census, I find a James McCalla living in Galion, Crawford Co., Ohio as a widow. He is 48 years old. He is living alone and he is still in the grocery business.
I still do not know where Mary is buried. UPDATE: They are both buried in Fairview and Find A Grave has a memorial to them but no tombstone photos at this time.
3. Sarah Ellen Barr was born 26 January 1863 in Morrow Co., Ohio. She married a Henry Francis Miller (abt. 1857 to 1948) on 8 Aug 1893 in Galion, Crawford Co., Ohio. They are buried in the Fairview Cemetery in Galion and you can find them on Find A Grave. Sarah died on 18 July 1941 in Crawford Co., Ohio. Henry passed in 1948 in Galion. Sarah appears in the 1870 and 1880 U.S. Census for Sandusky Twp., Richland Co., Ohio with her parents.
4. Rose Ann Barr was born 1 January 1865 in Morrow Co., Ohio. She married a Clarence Lee Morton on 22 Feb 1888 in Galion. She died 14 Nov. 1894 in Galion and is buried in Fairview Cemetery. They had Ansel Morton born November 1891 in Crawford Co. He is in the 1910 census living with his grandmother. Rose appears in the 1870 and 1880 U.S. Federal Census with her parents in Richland Co. Ohio. Their last name has been spelled “Martin” in some documents.
5. Emma Isabelle Barr was born 20 November 1866 and she died 22 March 1870. She is buried in Riblet Cemetery in Richland Co., Ohio.
6. Ida Lovina Barr was born 6 June 1870 maybe in Richland Co. She married an Edward Michael Neff who was born 10 November 1863. Ida died on 23 October 1934 in East Crestline, Richland Co., Ohio and he Edward died 18 Mar 1941. Both are buried in the Greenlawn Cemetery in Richland Co., Ohio and you will find information on Find A Grave for them.
Ida and Edward had 3 children, See Find A Grave for burial information and more.
UPDATE: Edward married twice 1) Emma Lampert died 1906, and 2) Ida. These are his children with Emma not Ida.
i. Norma Neff born 7 October 1988 and died 26 November, 1939. She is buried in Greenlawn Cemetery, Richland Co., Ohio.
ii. Melitta Caroly Neff born 12 February 1890, died 10 May 1966 in East Crestline. She married Edward Joseph Nungesser. He was born 2 February 1889 and died 29 March 1967 in East Crestline. Both are buried in the Greenlawn Cemetery in Richland County, Ohio.
iii. Kathryn Ida Neff was born 8 April 1898 and died 2 January, 1961 and is also buried in Greenlawn Cemetery. She married a Harry Edward Sprang 1887 to 1970. They are buried in Greenlawn Cemetery.
7. Hannah Effie Barr was born 5 September 1873 in Sandusky Twp., Richland Co., Ohio and she died 28 March 1899. She is buried in Riblet Cemetery. Effie appears in the 1880 U.S. Federal Census with her parents and siblings. She was 7 years old at that time.
8. Ada Gertrude Barr was born 26 February 1878 in Sandusky Twp., Richland Co., Ohio. She married a Frederick P. Voegele who was born 5 September 1877 and she died 15 August 1958. They are buried in the Greenlawn Cemetery in Richland Co., Ohio, see Find A Grave.
Ada and Fred had 4 children:
i. Violet A. Voegele born about 1902 in Ohio
ii. Henry H. Voegele born about 1907 in Ohio
iii. Ruth M Voegele born about 1915 in Crawford Co., Ohio
iv. Ida G. Voegele born 5 May 1916 and died 22 Feb 1997. She married a Robert Frederick Beck. You can find their tombstone at Find A Grave in the Greenlawn Cemetery in Richland Co., Ohio.
Ada appears in the 1880 U.S. Federal Census with her parents and siblings at the age of 2 years old using her middle name Gertrude.
In 1920 she and Fred appear living in Jackson Twp., Crawford Co., Ohio. Her sister Delphia is living with her.
Line 36, 13/85 Voegel, Fred P. head O F, M W, age 42, M, yes, yes, Indiana, Father Germany, mother Ohio, yes, farmer, dairy farming OA, 58 #002. Voegel, Ada G., wife, F, W, age 42, Mm, yes, yes, born Ohio, father PA, mother Ohio; Voegel, Voilet A. daughter, F, W, age 18, S, yes, yes, yes, born Ohio. Voegel, Henry H, son, M, W, age 13, single, yes, yes, yes, born Ohio. Voegel, Rachel/Ruth M. daughter, F, W, age 5 single, born Ohio. Voegel, Ida G, daughter, F W, age 3 7/12 single, born Ohio. [Ness] Lloyd, laborer, M, W, age 31, single, yes, yes, born Ohio, dairy farm. Barr, Delphia, sister-in-law, F, W, age 39, Single, yes, yes, born Ohio, Father PA, mother Ohio, servant. [Wellman] Russell, Labour, M, W, age 18, SIngle, yes, yes, yes, born Ohio, dairy farm.
Source: Fred Voegel Family, 1920 U.S. Federal Census, Jackson Twp., Crawford Co., Ohio, SD#7, ED27, Sht #5A, enumerated January 12, 20, 21, 1920 by Charles W. Kinslinger.
9. Delphia Blanche Barr was born 3 September 1880 in Sandusky Twp., Richland Co., Ohio and died 22 February 1940. She is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Galion, Crawford Co., Ohio.
Delphia Blanche Barr, appears in the 1900, 1910, 1920 U.S. Federal Census with her family, mother and sister. Delphia is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Galion, Ohio.
Galion Inquirer, Thursday, February 22, 1940.
Miss Delphia Barr, 60, passed away at 1:15 o’clock this morning at the home of her sister, Mrs. Fred Voegele, east of Galion, death coming to relieve the sufferings of an extended illness. She had been making her home iwth her sister for some time. Deceased was born in Galion, 3 September 1880, her parents being Harrison and Amarilla Keller Barr. Her parents preceded her in death some years ago. Surviving are two sisters, Mrs. Voegele and Mrs. Henry Miller, both living east of this city. The late J. H. Barr, of Galion, was a brother of the deceased. Remains were taken to the Robert E. Beck funeral home in Crestline, where they will remain until 10 o’clock Saturday morning, when they will be brought to the First United Brethren church in Galion, where friends may call until 2 o’clock, the hour of the funeral. Rev. O.E. Knepp, pastor of the church will officiate and the body will be laid to rest in Fairview Cemetery.
As usual there is always more to be done, checking the vital records, deeds, probate and estates to prove the lineages, but I think this is a good start. For these families a study of the United Brethren and Lutheran church records and the funeral records might also be very interesting. It is now time to move onto the next sibling
Catherine Caroline Keller Van Houten.