Nelson W. Cook was born 2 February, 1831 in Knox County, Ohio, according to my information. He was a son of Silvanus and Ann Cook. Ann was the daughter of Peter and Betty Spracklin. I do not know who the parents are of Silvanus Cook.
In 1850 Nelson was living with his parents in Dudley Twp. at the age of 19. His siblings where also there: John C. Cook was 16 years and Mary P.A. Cook at 3 years old.
Nelson married a Suzanne Dildine on 9 March, 1854 in Hardin Co., Ohio. I don’t know her parents at this time; however, there is a Susannah Dildine living in Thomson, Delaware Co., Ohio in the 1850 U.S. Federal Census. There is a Ralph Dildine in Radnor, Delaware Co., Ohio and he is 78 years old. Suzanne was born 7 March, 1837 in Radnor Twp., Delaware Co., Ohio.
In 1860 Nelson was married and raising his family.
Line 10, 158, 650, Nelson W. Cook, age 29, M, Farmer, $1350, $500, all born in Ohio
Susannah Cook age 22, F
Mary Cook, age 4, F
Albert Willis age 2, M
William N. English, age 21 M, Farm Labor
Source: Nelson W. Cook Family, 1860 U.S. Federal Census, Dudley Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio, page 92, enumerated 17th day of July, 1860, by W. D. Gunn.
He appears on the Civil War Draft Registrations on 1 June, 1861 in Dudley.
Nelson W. Cook, age 32 enlisted 2 May 1864, Private, Ohio. He survived the war yes, Enlisted in Co. G, Ohio 135th Infantry Regiment on 9 May, 1864, Mustered out 1 September, 1864 at Camp Chase Ohio. Born about 1832. Source: Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio. He was given a Deceased Union Civil War Headstone for his service.
In 1870 a few more children had been added to the family.
Line 23, 185, 168, Cook, Nelson, age 38, M, W, Farmer, $2000, $800, All born in Ohio
Cook, Susannah, age 33, F, W, Keeping house
Cook, Mary S, age 14, F, w, at home, attended school
Cook, Albert W., age 12, M, W, attended school
Cook, John E. age 8, M, W, attended school
Cook, Henry, age 5, M, W, attended school
Cook, Sheridan, age 3, M, W
Cook, Alice, age 2/12 F, W
Wigle, Cyrus, age 27, M, W, works on farm
Source: Nelson W. Cook Family, 1870 U.S. Federal Census, Dudley Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio, page 23, PO Kenton, enumerated 27, August 1870 by C. Wilkin
In 1880 we find them still in Dudley Twp.
Line 35, 190, 195, Cook, Nelson, W, M, 49, married, farmer, born Ohio, father born NY, mother born Ohio
Cook, Susana, W, F, 43 wife, married, keeping house, all the others born Ohio
Cook, Albert W., W, M, 21, son, farming
Cook, John E., W, M, 16, son, at home
Cook, Henry N., W, M, 14, son, at home
Cook, Katie M., W, F, 10, daughter
Cook, Lisa B., W, F, 7, daughter
Cook, Clara M., W, F, 4, daughter
Cook, Claude E., W, M, 1, son
Smedley, Ethan A.W, M, 16, nephew, laborer
Source: Nelson Cook Family, 1880 U.S. Federal Census, Dudley Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio, Page 20, SD# Two, ED#97Sht #D, Sht #65, enumerated on the 16th 17th of June, 1880, by S.C. Cook.
Unfortunately, tragedy strikes and Nelson W. Cook died on 8 February, 1881 in Hardin Co., Ohio.
On 16 July, 1890 Suzanne sought out Nelson’s Civil War Pension. I do not have a copy of his service file nor his pension file but it might be interesting to see at some point.
Widow: Cook, Susanna, G. 135 Ohio Inf.
Widow Appl 436840
Certificate No. 308920 Ohio
Nelson W. Cook is buried in the Lee Cemetery, near his parents. Find A Grave has a memorial to him. Here is my tombstone photo:
- Cook, Nelson W. Cook 2/4/1881 age 50y2d Co. 135 Reg. GAR
- Cook , Susanna 11/1/1914 age 7767m22d His wife.
- Cook, N.W. Co. G 135 Inf. Ohio
Additional information from the Lee Cemetery Book:
Page 4 ??? M.A.S. Broken, ???Mother, the information above for Nelson and Susanna, after N.W. is Cook, Asher, N. 2/1/1871 s/o NW &S age 3y3m20d.
In the following photo you can see Nelson’s tombstone, his Civil War Stone, Willis’s in the background.
Nelson W. Cook has an estate as listed in the index for the Hardin Co., Ohio Estates:
Cook, Nelson, Administrator Cook Willis:
Administrator Docket, Vol. 1, page 16, appointment Vol. 1, pg. 80, Bond Vol. B, page 458, Inventory & Sale Bill Vol. C, page 167, Vol. C. page 168, First Acct. Vol. D, page 560, Final Account Vol. E, page 101, File No. 1362.
I have not sought out Nelson’s estate but it would be good to see who his heirs where per the estate papers. That might be found in the First and Final Account. There might also be deeds to study to see what happened to his land. You can find the estates for Hardin Co., online at Family Search’s website. It is a little challenging to find the actual document but it can be done and at this time. I do not see where Nelson’s estate is listed, there are no volumes with D and E that work.
What happened to Suzanna after his death. Well she appears in Montgomery Twp. in Marion Co. Ohio in the 1900 Census.
Line 72, 297, 324, Cook, Susanna, Head, W, F, Mch 1837, age 63, Wd, 9 children born, 9 living, born Ohio, father born PA, mother born Ohio, yes, yes, yes, R, H.
Cook, Claude, son, W, M, Apr 1879, 21, S, born Ohio, Salesman hardware, yes, yes, yes.
Source: Susannah Cook Family, 1900 U.S. Federal Census, LaRue Town, Montgomery Twp., Marion Co., Ohio, Sht#13, SD#12, ED#66, enumerated 26 June 1900, Grant Bains.
In the city directory for Marion City for 1907 there are lots of Cooks listed
Suzannah was in Marion City in Marion County in 1910 near a George Cook.
Line 81 W, Center St., 503, 13, 18, Cook, George, W, Head, M, W. 53, M1, 27, born Ohio, father born Ohio, mother born PA, English, Manufacturer, wagon works, OM, yes, yes, R, H.
Cook, May D. wife, F, W, 45, M1, 27, 1 child born, 0 living, born Ohio, parents born Ohio, English, yes, yes.
Line 86, 217 15, 90, Cook, Susana, Head, F, W, 73, W, 10 children born, 9 living, born Ohio, father born PA, mother Ohio, English, own income
Davis, Mary A, daughter, F, W, 54, W, seven born, five living, born Ohio, parents born Ohio, English, laborer, mattress company
Davis, Anna A, granddaughter, F, W, 24, S, born Ohio, parents born Ohio, English, Operator, Telephone
Source: Susanna Cook and George Cook Families, 1910 U.S. Federal Census, Marion, Marion Co., Ohio, Precinct A, Ward 3, enumerated 15 April 1910 by Clyde C. Smith, SD#12, ED #88, Sht#3.
On 1 November 1914, Suzanne Dildine Cook passed away, probably in Marion City. She is buried with her husband Nelson in Lee Cemetery in Dudley Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio near his parents Silvanus and Ann Cook.
Nelson and Suzanne had ten children and nine survived; however, in the 1900 Census Susanne says she had 9 children born and 9 are living. So I have a little too many children listed below for this family.
- Mary A. Cook, born about 1856. She married a Mr. Davis who died before 1910 because she is living with her mother in 1910. They had Anna Davis born about 1886.
- Albert Willis Cook was born 26 January 1858 in Ohio. Me married Emma Catherine Cosner. She was born 11 April, 1867 in Ohio. Albert Willis died on 15 June 1935 in Magnetic Springs, Union Co., Ohio. Emma died 11 March, 1926 in Hardin Co., Both are buried in the Lee Cemetery in Dudley Twp. Find A Grave has a memorial with links. There are links and an obituary notice for Willis. Willis is with his parents in the 1860, 1870 and 1880 census, see above.
Lee Cemetery Book: Cook, Emma C. 1867, 1926 Mother, Willis A. 1858, 1935 Father, page 3 Row 4.
Albert Willis and Emma had the following children in the 1910 census Emma says he had 8 children born, 7 living. I do not know who the 8th would be.
- Edith Gayl Cook, b. 10 February, 1889, Hardin Co., Ohio, died 18 February, 1962 in Hamilton Co., Ohio. She is buried in the LaRue Cemetery in Marion Co., Ohio. Find A Grave has a memorial with links but no tombstone picture. Edith married Stanley Tilton on 27 March, 1910 in Hepburn, Hardin Co., Ohio. They had one child Clay C. Tilton. He married to Sarah Alice Sprague. They are also buried in the La Rue Cemetery with Find a Grave Memorials.
- Aulton G. Cook was born 21 November 1891 and died 13 November, 1985. He married L. Lucille Coulter born about 1900 and died 14 March, 1979. They are buried in the LaRue Cemetery in Marion Co., Ohio with memorials at Find A Grave. Aulton and Lucille had Gregory, Victoria and Marjorie.
- Hortense Cook was born 8 May, 1893 in Hardin Co., and died 14 February, 1981 in Westerville, Franklin Co, Ohio. She married on 6 March, 1917 to Elzie R. Davis born 22 February, 1891 in Morrow Co., Ohio. He died 4 October, 1957 in Columbus, Ohio. Both are buried in the Clairbourne Cemetery in Richwood, Union Co., Ohio with Find A Grave memorials. They had one child Delos R. Davis.
- Nelson Allen Cook was born 12 October, 1896 in Hardin Co., and he died 18 January, 1980. He married Opal M. Clay (born 1898 and died 1981). He is buried in the La Rue Cemetery. Opal and Nelson’s children were: Hannah J., Nancy and Robert.
- Lena Maple Cook was born 4 October, 1898 in Hardin Co., and died 4 December, 1948 in Chillicothe, Ross Co., Ohio. She is buried in the Grandview Cemetery in Chillicothe, Ross Co., Ohio. She married Harold Hadley Allen. He was born 20 June, 1894 and died 6 September, 1972.
- Lorin W. Cook was born 4 October 1898 and died 26 November, 1979 in Marysville, Union Co., Ohio. He is buried in the Oakdale Cemetery in Marysville. Find A Grave has a memorial and tombstone picture for him. Lorin married Sarah Riley. Their children were Richard and Donald.
- Harold Cook born about 1902 in Ohio and he married a Ruby Woellver.
Willis and Emma are in the 1900 U.S. Census living in Dudley Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio. They are living next door to Wilmot and Nancy Spracklin. Wilmot is a son of George P. and Rachel Spracklin and grandson of the Rev. Alfred and Abigail Spracklin. Do we have twins with Lorin and Lena?
Line 58, 191, 193 Cook, Willis A., head, W, M, June 1858, 41, M, 13, born Ohio, parent born Ohio, Farmer, O, yes, yes, yes, O, F, L, 160
Cook, Emma K., wife, W, F, Apr. 1867, 33, M, 13, 7 born, 6 living, born Ohio, Father Virginia, mother Ohio, ye, yes, yes.
Cook, Gale E., daughter, W, F, Feb. 1889, 11 S, all born in Ohio, at school, 8, yes, yes yes.
Cook, Alton S., son, W, M, Nov. 1890, 9, S, at school, 8, yes, yes, yes
Cook, Horta, M., daughter, M, W, May 1893, 7, S, at school, 8 yes, yes yes.
Cook, Nelson A., son, W, M, Oct. 18986, 3 S.
Cook, Lorin W., son, W, M, Oct. 1898, 1 S.
Cook, Lena M., daughter, W, F, Oct. 1898, 1, S
Source: Willis Cook Family, 1900 U.S. Federal Census, Dudley Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio, SD#7, ED#83, Sht#9, 14 June, 1900, by Joel H. Pfeiffer.
In 1910 Willis and Emma are still in Dudley Twp. There are some changes, Hortense is listed as son which I think is not correct, while Lorin is Laura a daughter which is another error. We have one more son Harold added to the family.
Line 27, 727, 729, Cook, Albert W. Head, M,W, 51, M1, 23, born Ohio, father born Ohio, mother England, English, Farmer, Farm, farming, Em, yes, yes, O, M, F, 169
Cook, Emma C. wife, F, W, 43, M1, 23, eight born 7 living, born Ohio, father born Virginia, mother Ohio, English, none, yes, yes
Cook, Hortense, M, Son, 17, S, born Ohio, English, Farm Laborer, home farm, W, No. O, yes, yes, yes.
Cook, Nelson A, Son, M, W, 13, S, born Ohio, English, none, yes, yes, yes
Cook, Laura W, daughter, F, W, 11, S, born Ohio, English, none, yes, yes, yes
Cook, Lena M. Daughter, F, W, 11, S, born Ohio, English, none, yes, yes, yes
Cook, Harold C., son, M, W, 8 S, born Ohio, none, yes.
Source: Albert W. Cook Family, 1910 U.S. Federal Census, Dudley Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio. SD#7, ED#10, Sht#10A, enumerated 5 & 6 of May, 1910, Zell H. Ballinger
3. John E. Cook was born about 1862 in Ohio. He might be John Elmer as mentioned in the obituary (at Find A Grave) of his brother Albert Willis. It states he was living in Denver, Colorado.
In 1930 there is a John E. Cook living with a Lura B. in Denver, Denver Co., Colorado. Updated: On 3/16/2016 I fixed this census.
Line 52, Kalamath Street, 771, 157, 179, Cook, John E. head, ) $3000, R, M, W, 66, M, 37, No, Yes, born Ohio, father born Pennsylvania, mother born Ohio, baker, own shop, 7211 E. yes, No.
Cook, Lura B, Wife H, F, W, 50, M, 21, No, yes, born Nebraska, father born Illinois, mother born Indiana, yes, none.
Cook, Merthel J., daughter, F, W, 23, S, No, Yes, born Iowa, yes, waitress, hospital, 6194, W, No, 48.
Cook, Edith M., daughter, F, W, 17, S, Yes, Yes, born Colorado, yes, none.
Nelson, Robert E., Boarder, M, W, 24, S, No, Yes, born Nebraska, parents born in Nebraska, farmer, farm, VVV, W, yes.
Source: John E. Cook family, 1930 U.S. Federal Census, Denver, Denver Co., Colorado, District E. Block No. 1620, ED#16-51, SD#3 Sht#8B, enumerated April 8, 1930, Velima E. Houghton
4. Harry Nelson Cook was born 15 October, 1866. He married a Hanna Crab and their children were Lowel A., Lester, Zora, and Isa Gladys.
Harry and Hannah are in the 1900 Census living in Montgomery Twp., Marion Co., Ohio.
Line 88, 488, 517, Cook, Harry, Head, W, M, Oct. 1865, 34, M. 10, born Ohio, all born Ohio, parents all born Ohio. Farmer, O, yes, yes, yes, R, F, 110.
Cook Hannah, wife, W, F, Sept. 1868, 31, M, 10, four children born, 4 living, born Ohio, yes, yes, yes
Cook, Lester, Son, W, M, July 1891, 8, S, born Ohio, 8
Cook, Lowell, Son, W, M, Feb? 1892, 7, S, 8
Cook, Icy, daughter, W, F, Feb. 1895, 5, S
Cook, Josah, daughter, W, F, April 1898, 2, S
Source: Harry Cook Family, 1900 U.S. Federal Census, Montgomery Twp., Marion Co., Ohio, SD#12, ED#66, Sht#21, 5th July, 1900, Grant Bain.
5. Sheridan A. Cook was born in 1867 in Ohio.
6. Alice A. Cook was born about 1869 in Hardin Co., and she died 1 February, 1871. She is buried in the Lee Cemetery near her parents. There might be some confusion between this person and Asher Cook, see below?
7. Katie M. Cook was born about 1870. She married a Charles Wertz. They had Esther Wertz.
Line 61, 881, 381, Wertz, Charles S, Head, W, M, Dec. 1869, 30, M, 7, born Ohio, all born in Ohio, all parents born in Ohio. W. S. Express Agent, 0, yes, yes, yes, R, H.
Wertz, Katie, M, Wife, M, F, May 1870, 30, M, 7, two born, 1 living, born Ohio, yes, yes, yes
Wertz, Esther Fae, daughter, W, F, Dec. 1899, 5/12, S, born Ohio
Source: Charles S. Wertz Family, 1900 U.S. Federal Census, Medina, Medina Co., Ohio, SD#16, ED#49, Sht#14,
8. Asher N. Cook died 2/1/1871 age 3 y 3 m, 20 days Lee Cemetery, Hardin Co., Ohio.
9. Liza B. Cook was born 23 March, 1873 and died 4 January, 1953 in LaRue, Ohio.
10. Clara M. Cook was born 1876 in Ohio.
11. Claude Emmet Cook was born 7 April, 1879 in Hardin Co., and he died 26 September, 1954 in Lakeview, Logan Co., Ohio. He married an Anna Miller. They had Claude Cook Jr., Margaret Ann Cook, and Lawrence Miller Cook (1906-1974). They are buried in the Lewiston Cemetery in Logan Co., Ohio and Find a Grave has memorials.
Claude and Ann appear in the 1910 U.S. Census living in Marion, Ohio. There is a Clarence E. Miller living next to them with a Clara listed as mother who is 54 years old. I am thinking these are Ann’s family. Of course this needs to be confirmed.
Line 89, Columbia Street, 633, 284, 292, Miller, Clarence E. Head, M, W, 32, M1, 3, born Australia English, parents Australia English, parents Australia English, English, Minister, Church.
Miller, Clara, Mother, F, W, 54, Widow, four born 4 living, born Australia English, parents England English,
Miller, Emily M., sister, F, W, 30, S, Australia English, parents Australia English.
Line 92, 701, 285, 293, Cook, Claude E. head, M, W, 31, M1, 4, born Ohio, parents born Ohio, parents born Ohio, English, Commercial Traveler, Hardware, W, yes, yes, R, H.
Cook, Anna M. Wife, F, W, 26, M1, 4, two born and two living, born Ohio
Cook, Lawrence M., son, M, W, 3, S, born Ohio
Cook, Claude E. Jr., son, M, W, 3/12 S, born Ohio
Source: Claude E. Cook Family and Clarence Miller Family, 1910 U.S. Federal Census, Marion City, Marion Twp., Marion Co., Ohio. SD#12, ED#30, Sht#11B, 3rd Precinct C. enumerated 22 and 25 April, 1910, Mrs. Leola Weaver.
I have four names of children that Nelson and Suzanna had: Elmer is probably John’s milddle name? Maude, Eliada and Viola are other names and I don’t know which of the children above they refer to or if they are other children I am not aware of, like Asher.
There is a lot more that could be done in researching Nelson’s family like census searches for the individuals above in more detail. This might clear up the names and number of children. Obituaries, deeds, probate/estate documents and Nelson’s Civil War Service would also be fun to research. Please understand that this is a preliminary search and I do not have all the children completely figured out. Use the above as a guide.
At this point it is time to move on and share what I know about Peter Spracklin the son of Peter and Betty and brother to Ann. He lived in New Jersey.