Based on the statistical census presented for Philip Goss in a past post, we see that it is possible that Philip Goss and Hannah Darby had more children than just Philip Goss born 1787. A possible daughter could be Sarah Goss.
Sarah Goss There is a Sarah Goss born 1 July 1782 in Barkhamsted, Litchfield, Connecticut. According to the Connecticut Town Birth Records pre-1870 (Barbour Collection) a Sarah Goss was born in Barkhamsted to a Philip Goss on 1 July 1782.
The Connecticut Church Record Abstracts, 1630-1920, Baptized 10 Nov. 1782 in New Hartford, CT, father Philip Goss. This date is the same date for the baptism of Jerusha in New Hartford! There are other notations in the church record that don’t make much sense. It sort of looks like a son was also born to Goss?
This is very interesting because that is where Thomas Goss lived till 1785.* He was a brother to Philip’s father Philip Goss IV.
A child born to a Philip Goss in Litchfield Co., CT does not seem to far off because of all the difficulties in the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania. There were the land issues resulting in fighting between the Connecticut Settlers and the Pennsylvania land owners. The Revolutionary war also caused great difficulties. It would not be unusual for Philip and Hannah to leave the Wyoming Valley for safety reasons and stay elsewhere. A great many of the Connecticut Settlers had second homes. Therefore, these birth records could be telling us something.
In my last post I featured a Google Map of the area of Winsted and Barkhamsted and showed their locations. I thought it was very interesting how close they were to each other.
A possible marriage:
It is believed by other with family trees at Ancestry, that Sarah married Elias Long Jr. I do not have a marriage record for them. Sarah if born in 1782 would be 18 years old in 1800. They may have had the following children: William 1800-1830, Henry 1801-1820, Erie G. 1803-1820, Matilda Long 1805-1879 and Sarah Long 1809-1891.
If she did marry Elias Long Jr. he was born 13 Oct 1772 in Northampton Co., Pennsylvania. He died 4 Feb 1853 in Ross Twp., Luzerne Co., PA and he is buried in the Goss Cemetery, near Harveyville. His parents would be Elias Long Sr. 1746-1827 and Mary E. Reimel (Betsy) 1752-1836.
Sarah is generally believed to have died about 1810 in Luzerne Co., PA but there is no record of her death or a burial location that I can find.
A Sarah Taylor b. 19 Aug 1790 and died 21 Dec 1862, may have been Elias’s second wife. She is buried in the Bloomingdale Cemetery in Luzerne Co., PA. It is stated at Find A Grave her maiden name is Taylor and she is his wife. These are possible children for this couple: Joseph B. Long 1813-1884 buried Broadway Cemetery, Ross Twp, Jacob Long 1814-1840, Permilia Long 1815-1833, John Long 1817-1899 migrated to Grundy Co., Iowa – Benson Cemetery, Barnabus Long 1819-1888, Elizabeth Long 1820-1838, Amanda Long 1822-1907, Fannie Long 1824-1891, Lucy Long 1826-1847, Thomas Long 1828-1848, and George Long 1830-1901 migrated to Grundy Co., Iowa buried in Benson Cemetery. Please be careful with these children, I have not researched them at this time.
There is a deed of Philip Goss selling land to John Long for $40, regarding the right of David Bull out of Hartford for 300 acres, this was dated 29 November 1796. This is the very faded Deed that I could only read a portion of. It was recorded 26 Aug, 1799. No lot number is referenced. The witnesses are Elnathan Jennings and Elias Long. See the post titled: Part I-e: Philip Goss Father or Son – Right of David Bull 29 November 1796?, February 19, 2019.
In the US Direct Tax List for 1798 a John Long and an Elias Long are listed under Huntington. John valued 150, and 29, Elias 654, 5, 57? There is another page for this Tax List and Elias Long Jr. is listed as an adjoining proprietor along with Amos Seward across from John Long. Lower down on the page is an Ammi Lawrence and Elias Long Jr. is listed as an adjoining proprietor. Below this is Elias Long occupant, Elias Long/Lange Owner. Enos Seward and Ammi Lawrence are adjoining proprietors. Further up on the page Nathaniel Goss is mentioned as a proprietor.
Elias Long Junior appears in the 1800 Pennsylvania Septennial Census. This is just a list of names. Also on this census are listed Elias Long, Joseph Long, and John Long.
We find an Elias Long in the 1800 US Federal Census living in Huntington Twp., Luzerne Co., PA.
- Free White Persons – Males – 16 thru 25 – 3
- Free White Persons – Males – 26 thru 44 – 1 – Elias would be 28 years old
- Free White Persons – Males – 45 and over – 1 – Elias’ father Elias Long Sr. would be 54 b. 1746 died 1827
- Free White Persons – Females – Under 10 – 1
- Free White Persons – Females – 16 thru 25 – 2 – Sarah Goss would 18 years old
- Free White Persons – Females – 45 and over – 1 – Mary E. “Betsy” would be 48 years old.
- Number of Household Members Under 16 -1
- Number of Household Members Over 25 – 3
- Number of Household Members – 9
In the 1810 US Census we find Elias Long still in Huntington Twp. This census was enumerated in 6 August of 1810. Sarah Goss was born 1782 and that means she would be 28 years old. This implies that Sarah was alive at this census enumeration?
- Free White Persons – Males – Under 10 – 2
- Free White Persons – Males – 10 thru 15 – 1
- Free White Persons – Males – 26 thru 44 – 1 – Elias is now 38 years old.
- Free White Persons – Females – Under 10 – 2
- Free White Persons – Females – 26 thru 44 – 1 – Sarah Goss would be 28. If it was Sarah Taylor she would be 20 years old.
- Number of Household Members Under 16 – 5
- Number of Household Members Over 25 – 2
- Number of Household Members – 7
The 1820 US Census once again Elias Long Jr. is living in Huntington Twp. Enumeration Date August 7, 1820
- Free White Persons – Males – Under 10 – 2
- Free White Persons – Males – 10 thru 15 – 2
- Free White Persons – Males – 16 thru 25 – 3
- Free White Persons – Males – 45 and over – 1 – Elias is now 48-years-old.
- Free White Persons – Females – Under 10 – 3
- Free White Persons – Females – 26 thru 44 – 1 – Sarah Goss would be 38 if she lived, Sarah Taylor would be 30 years old – so both women fit in this grouping.
- Number of Persons – Engaged in Agriculture – 3
- Free White Persons – Under 16 – 7
- Free White Persons – Over 25 – 2
- Total Free White Persons – 12
- Total All Persons – White, Slaves, Colored, Other – 12
Watch the 1820 there are two Elias Long’s listed, becareful about the ages.
I missed the 1830 Census for this post, there were 12 people living with Elias Long in Huntington Twp. There is a male in the 50 to 59 age range and a female in the 40 to 49 age range. The rest are children.
In the 1840 US Census Elias Long is living in Huntington Twp.
- Free White Persons – Males – 10 thru 14 – 2
- Free White Persons – Males – 20 thru 29 – 3
- Free White Persons – Males – 60 thru 69 – 1 – Elias is 68 years old
- Free White Persons – Females – 10 thru 14 – 1
- Free White Persons – Females – 15 thru 19 – 2
- Free White Persons – Females – 50 thru 59 – 1 – Sarah Taylor would be 50 and Sarah Goss would be 58
- Persons Employed in Agriculture – 3
- Free White Persons – Under 20 – 5
- Free White Persons – 20 thru 49 – 3
- Total Free White Persons – 10
- Total All Persons – Free White, Free Colored, Slaves – 10
In the 1850 US Census Elias Long is now living in Ross Twp., Luzerne Co., PA. He is 75 years old farmer, Sarah age 60 is with him. This means she was born 1790 which would be too young for our Sarah. With Elias is a Fanny age 25 and George 20 listed as a carpenter are still with their parents. Below them is John Long age 33 a carpenter $1500. With him are Elizabeth age 24, Perrin age 3 male and George age 2/12.
In Summary: This is going to be very difficult to prove and figure out whether Elias Long Jr. did marry Sarah Goss. We need marriage records, burial records, estate records which might identify children, deeds and more. Unfortunately I was having trouble finding Elias Long Jr. in the Luzerne Orphans Court and will records. His father is easy to find. He is in the index listing for Deeds online under grantor and grantee but there does not seem to be any partition type deeds to seek. So it would require pulling all deeds associated with Elias Long and his children and then studying them for clues.
I also checked Donna Bingham Munger’s Proprietors, Settlers and Claimant booklets for the Connecticut Settlers, but only found Long listed for the 1796 Tax Listing for Luzerne. Elias Long and John Long appear in this listing in the Annuals of Luzerne History, pg. 548. I have presented this in past posts. The Annals is also available online at Internet Archive for viewing.
It does look like Sarah was a daughter of Philip and a sister to Jerusha from the baptismal records.
*Thomas Goss lived till 1785 when he was hanged for the murder of his wife. I will go into all that in a future post. I need to finish up Philip Goss IV and Mary Kendall’s children and then I will go back to their father and mother: Philip Goss and Keziah Cooley Goss.